Thursday 5 March 2015

Testing make up for SS15 90s inspired shoot


Today I practised two very similar looks insight for my upcoming shoot. I practised two minimalistic make up looks I designed influenced by the make up of SS15. I have created looks that have an element of key iconic nineties aspects. Such as 90s minimalist bases, soft brown and pastel colours. I have used application techniques such as using my ring finger to apply make up to help achieve a natural finish on the make up. Rather then lining the lips on the make up in a true 90s fashion I have decided to leave out the lining in order to make the look more suitable to the clean and simple looks that I have seen across SS15. For many of the looks in SS15 the lips are kept natural to very minimal colour. 






The first look I created was inspired by Tata Naka SS15 campaign. The team applied a brown tone to the lips and eye balanced with a clean skin and minimal foundation.To create the brown they used Mac - Ground Work. Here I have adapted the look slightly.

This look inspired me because its very earthy and natural which gives it a really fresh 90s feel as well as being light and clean perfect for SS15. 
I would like to create something similar to this for my final piece. 

This look compliments the bantu knot hair style really well. It has an edgy yet subtle feel. The skin is really clean and flawless which is very representative of both 90s and SS15. 

I have contoured ever so slightly to five some definition to the cheeks and enhance the natural features. I have also used a minimal amount of highlighter on the cheeks, cupids bow and centre of the nose. To highlight the skin I used TOPSHOP creamy illuminater. 



































The second look that I tested for the shoot was a take on 90s pretty pastel colours. I used a really gorgeous silvery purple eye shadow from Mac. I brushed it along the eyes this really brightened them but was also very subtle. This look is also inspired by the looks from catwalks such as Derek lam who used frosty eye shades on the models for the SS15 campaign. 
For the lips I used a similar pastel shade just to give them some gentle colour.  
I used a heavy coverage base with a little mixing medium to loosen up the texture. 





After testing both the looks I have decided to go for the first one. Inspired by Tata Naka SS15. I feel this look is best suited to the hair I have designed incorporating Bantu Knots. This look has a much more earthy and edgy feel which is the look I would like to go for. Especially as I have now decided to create a front cover for POP magazine. I feel this is a suitable magazine for the look I'm creating because it is funky and grungy. This look wouldn't be suited to magazines such as Marie Claire or Glamour Magazine because I'm going for a more masculine feel for the shoot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment