Monday 9 March 2015

Inspirational Magazine Covers

Love magazine first issue 2009.1

When asked to think about some of the most influential magazine covers. The love magazine cover featuring Beth Ditto in the year 2009 springs to mind immediately. I remember the impact it had on me and my friends as young girls. I also remember the discussions that circulated around the nature of the cover. Me personally I remember the cover because It shocked and excited me and I thought it was a great step in the right direction for the fashion and beauty industry. 

For me this magazine cover is very influential for young men and women for a number of reasons. Firstly when we think of nude we automatically think of a 'perfect' model figure with a tiny waste. Plus size models causes much controversy because of peoples ideals of 'beauty' I personally feel hiding away plus size women is what creates the ideals in peoples heads and so showing off the curves of a shapely women should be done more often so that it becomes a more realistic norm in peoples heads, this is what really makes the cover influential. 

Magazine covers like this give other big girls a platform to feel confidence from. And help to change the views some may have against women this size. 


Vogue July 1967.2

My second inspirational cover is the Vogue 1967 issue featuring the iconic model Twiggy 18 months after she was discovered. This was an iconic cover of the 60s and was showed to me by my grandmother. 

The cover was shot by well known Vogue Photographer Avedon. 

For me this cover is inspirational and Iconic for a number of reasons. Anyone who is a twiggy fan will recognise her signature eye make up in the style similar to ballet make up. However for me the make is very inspiring for its time because of its technical level. The right eye brow has either been blocked out or edited out. In my opinion I think the brows have been blocked out because of the way the flower is positioned it may have been hard to remove the eye brow through editing after the flower had been painted on. This is something that would be much easier to do now. 

This is a very unusual fashion for the 60s and is a very modern way of styling make up. The eye brow has been replaced with a flower matching the clothes covering the whole eye area. This is another thing who I feel is unique and modern for the covers time. Its a very playful make up look which I think is really inspiring in comparison with other make up looks of the 60s. 

I also love the slicked back hair that really makes the focus all about Twiggys Iconic look which dominates the front cover. 

I find it really hard to choose the most inspirational magazine cover when it involves Twiggy as I find most of her photography very inspiring. She really represented modernity in her prime. 

Below is another of my favourite and most inspirational magazine Vogue covers and yes it involves Twiggy again!

Vogue 1974.3

This is another of Twiggys covers for Vogue photographed by Barry Lategan in 1974. In this cover Twiggy is photographed as Vogues 'Cinderella'. When I look at this it really gives me a feel and excitement for the make up fashions that was about to come in the 80s. In this way the cover is really modern. The make up is bold and bright and very theatrical. One of my favourite interpretations of 'Cinderella'.!!




Bibliography
1.Blendbureaux.com, (2015). Beth Ditto Got Married | BlendBureaux. [online] Available at: http://www.blendbureaux.com/beth-ditto-got-married/ [Accessed 9 Mar. 2015].
2.Onthisdayinfashion.com, (2015). Twiggy on the Cover of July 1967 Vogue | On This Day In Fashion. [online] Available at: http://onthisdayinfashion.com/?p=2907 [Accessed 9 Mar. 2015].
3.Vogue UK, (2015). Magazine Issue. [online] Available at: http://www.vogue.co.uk/magazine/archive/issue/1974/December [Accessed 9 Mar. 2015].


No comments:

Post a Comment