Friday 5 December 2014

Black Opium YSL Campaign

November issue Vogue



Today I sat and had a flick through the Novemeber issue of Vogue as always it was full of stunning editorial campaigns but one of my favourites was for the new fragrance from YSL called Black Opium. I love the look for the campaign both the hair and make up. 

British model Eddie Campbell stars in the campaign and I think she's perfect for the role. She sports a mopey choppy hair style that seems to be really on trend at the moment. It takes me back to Marc Jacobs AW14 when models wore a choppy spritzed wig with a front fringe. Perhaps this trend is really catching on! 

It looks as though her hair has been teased frivolously with plenty of product this matches the naughtiness of the fragrance. A number of products could be used to achieve this look for one moulding gel on the tip of the fingers would provide an excellent stick to tease the hair into a wild direction. As well as this just a simple spray of water around the hair whilst teasing with a comb or fingers can provide this type of lovely texture that adds a look as if you've just ran home through light rain. Hair spray would be perfect to finish the look and to gain some of this big and bold volume through the hair especially through the roots of the hair.

As for the make up I was really intrigued by the look they went for. YSL stated that this campaign is targeted at younger people, The look of the hair and make up are undoubtedly aimed at a younger audience I think this look appeals to your inner wild side, the make up and hair gives off a kind of 'just rolled out of bed' look after a night out. In fact in the advert Eddie Campbell does just that and rolls out of bed in the middle of the night running through Shanghai trying to get her fix of the scent.

Ive had difficulty identifying the exact make up used on set however I will list a few that I think would be perfect to recreate this look. I will relate it to make up from YSL as this was most likely what was used. 

To begin I would use a illuminating or radiance primer because the look does have some dewiness to the face apart from around the centre of the face which can be toned down using powder. For foundation YSL have a range however the one that I think would be most suitable is Perfect Touch Foundation this is a silky smooth foundation and give hydrating sheer coverage, it does have illuminating qualities which I feel the campaign does portray on some areas of the face. Again I would tone does some of the brightness using a HD powder before applying the blush. The brows I would fill in with YSL eye brow pallet giving a nice thickness and filling in quite fully to frame the face. 

The eyes are very sultry with a dark smokey feel on the bottom lash line. Ysl have a Eye Pencil that works soft like a crayon, I would apply this to the bottom lash line doing one eye at a time because the product is water proof and may dry quickly, using a small blending brush blending this line off and dragging down slightly will give that smokey line. To enhance this I would add a small amount of eye shadow just to balance the line so that its not to harsh giving a smokey feel. I would then go back in and line the water line and the top lash line. Mascara I would use on both bottom and top lashes ever so slightly only applying just a little especially to the top lashes as not much has been used at all. The lid of the eye I would either apply just the foundation only and leave of apply a perfectly matching eye shadow that is natural just to highlight the lid slightly. Also because leaving the foundation there on its own may leave crease lines during the filming of the campaign. 

The cheeks have been highlighted quite strongly using a pink blush YSL have a product called Kiss and Blush which is a gel blush that can be used on the lips and the cheeks the colour I would choose is Pink Hedonist which is available when you follow the link. This gives a really nice matte lips and is very build able. I would apply this to the contour areas of the cheek probably using my fingers by patting it on and then powdering afterwards minimally so that there is no shine. 
The lips I would apply a YSL's lipstick in Rose Bergamasque I would apply this subtly using a lip brush, I wouldn't use a lip liner because the natural shape of the lip is obvious. I would apply the colour very subtly.






Bibliography 
http://www.yslbeauty.co.uk/makeup/lips/lipsticks
November Issue Vogue 2014 

No comments:

Post a Comment