Tuesday 7 June 2016

Making the Headpiece Design & Development

Since my subject is very theatrical and for the stage I wanted to contribute to my final image by making a hand made head piece to be worn in my final photographic shoot. I decided a head band would be perfect as I found during my research that these were a popular item during the twenties. 

I went to my grandmother for help with design and development and sourcing the right materials. She gave me a piece that belonged to her mother, this was the main badge to the head piece. 

I sourced the head band itself from a fabric shop. I specifically chose this because the way the fabric looped looked very art deco. 

I sourced peacock feathers as I was advised by my grandmother that these were all the rage during the twenties and upon research I found this to be very true. Also they would add some colour to what I wanted to be a overall dark and vamp look. 

The floral badge my grandmother gave me had red sequins. I did not want to incorporate red into my design as the only colour I wanted to show was from the peacock feathers. For this reason I used black acrylic paint to cover the red sequins.




























Once this had dried I turned my attention to the peacock feathers above, these had a white stem and also needed to be painted black. This was not vital but I felt it made the headband look more balances and professional. The white stems were far to visible as the feathers on a individual basis had few hairs to cover. 

























When this was done I used a glue gun to combine the pieces and the head band or brow band was complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment