Tuesday 7 June 2016

Final Piece Hair Practice

I new from an early stage that I wanted to do 1920s hair and make up and so I used many opportunities to practice finger waving. I decided to work with Hot sticks because I felt that they will hold the longest and will be the easiest to maintain on the day in comparison to wet set finger waves or tongs for example. I feel that Hot sticks are the best way to ensure continuity and maintenance of the style. 


Today I practised creating a style that would have waves on the top and the lots of curls at the bottom. I did this because my model had very short hair and this would compliment and make styling easier. This was my first time since the first year finger waving and so it was important that I got good practice in time for the final show. 

For Health and safety I gowned my model to protect her. I also plugged the hot sticks in leaving the wire away from the edge of the desk so that it could not be of a hazard to anyone. 





My model had a front fringe and so this gave me great difficulty with rolling the hot sticks horizontally and away from the front of the head. I had to use my fingers when rolling to scoop in the very short hairs as a pin tale comb did not get everything in. When sectioning I remembered that the thinner the sections the better the wave that will be achieved and so I made sure to use thin sections in order to get a definite and strong wave. 

When the hot sticks had cooled I took them out remembering to unravel the hair all the way to the ends so not to create knots. I brushed through the hair to remove any knots and smoothed over the hair with some vita point before beginning the finger waving. 

Finger waving the front was particularly difficult because my model had a front fringe. I used lots of hairspray on the hair and on my pin tale comb to manipulate the hair into place. Because of the front fringe I left the hair in grips for as long as possible to ensure that it stayed. 










For the bottom of the hair I reformed the curls that I had brushed out. To create a nice shape to the hair. I also used my fingers to tease some of the hair upwards using the mirror to create a shape I was happy with. 
At this point I felt very confident with the styling and was happy with the outcome. Moving forward I feel I could have made even thinner sections when putting in my hot sticks to create a few more finger waves. On my next practice I realise what I should have done was to alternate at the top were the waves where going to be red and blu hot sticks to create more of a concave for each finger wave. 
I will remember these points when moving forward. 













No comments:

Post a Comment