Wednesday 19 November 2014

Conical Wand Hair Styling




In todays workshop we worked on adding texture to the hair using conical wands, I really like using conical wands on my hair to add bouncy volume and lovely texture, I looked at a number of hair styles for some inspiration with my styling.The first person that springs to mind when thinking of luscious tonged curls is Beyoncè! This style to the right is a really good example of what can be achieved using conical wands. 




Section Size
Clipped Curls




















To begin I sectioned the hair after combing through the dolls head, The conical wands I was using were switched on heating up resting on the guard so not to come into contact with anything incase of burring, Conical wands get extremely hot and I am very cautious with them with the barrel being exposed meaning more chance of an accident for me or my model. After combing through the hair I sectioned it keeping the hair that wasn't being styled out of the way clipped up above. The sections I used varied I wanted to create a style that had tighter curls underneath at the bottom and gradually faded upwards into larger curls for a similar Beyoncè inspired look. I tonged each section from the bottom of the hair upwards curling all the way to the root as I wanted to create full curls. On my first tong I forgot to apply setting spray to the hair I new this immediately when i took it off the tong the hair had fly aways and looked quite frizzy, I did this curl again applying setting spray and the hair was a lot smoother this really reassured me why its so important to use setting spray!


I used clips to hold the curls in place, I didn't want to dress the curls out until they cooled down, also this helps to give better hold to the curls. 

I continued tonging the curls and clipping them getting larger as I passed the occipital bone, For the front left hand side of the head I rolled the curls backwards this is because I wanted to the curls to wave backwards off the face were the side parting started, On the right side I rolled the tong forward as I had done with the rest of the hair for a forward facing fringe, However to get a curve shape for the fringe I gently pulled the tong upwards diagonally to give a slight flick to the hair.


One of my main health and safety points to remember was to not leave the tong resting on the head incase they get too hot its easy to do this when working on a dolly however this would be very dangerous on a model although I do not let the tongs get too hot on the hair I always feel the hair thats wrapped around the tong and take it off as soon as I feel the heat coming through not only is this safer but its also a way of saving time. 




Before dressing curls 
After Dressing curls



When I dressed out the curles they didn't hold as tight as I desired, they almost dropped a little, I find this happens a lot with my dolls head. To correct this I re worked the curles by wrapping them around my fingertips, giving them far more definition and I also think they look a lot smoother.





To complete the look I combed through the top of the hair and then teased it with my fingers to create some really nice full volume. I also combed through the fringe and finished using a minimal amount of hairspray to hold the style. 











No comments:

Post a Comment