Sunday 23 November 2014

Classic Red Lip



The all important classic red lip was todays subject. We recapped lining and filling in the lips using Mac Ruby Woo red a colour that suits nearly all!  

To begging the Lip I lined using Mac Cherry Lip liner. To prep the lip liner I sprayed with IPA to cleanse the pencil and then sharpened once. I do this before using any pencil to ensure my pencil is clean and safe to use! Matching my lip pencil to my Lip colour is really important. Using a pencil on the lips gives more staying power to the lip stick. 

When I was first introduced to make up by celebrity make up artist Karen Mason she showed me this diagram that should be followed when applying lip liner. I am sharing it because its something that I never forget and is away to create neater lip lines. Drawing from the outer corners to the inner centre of the lip is also a lot easier because you can see clearly what you are doing. 
1


A really comfortable way to give your self support is to rest your arm gently on your models shoulder supporting her head whilst using your other hand to draw onto the lips. Working in this way gives me a lot more control and comfortability. Im not resting at all hard on my model in fact she found it a lot more comfortable as it helps her to keep still and feel secure. I lined the lips ensuring in the mirror that the line was even and symmetrical on both sides. I faced some minor hiccups with this because on one occasion I drew over the natural lip line a little too much. To correct this I used a cotton bud dipped in toner and wiped the excess off. I found lining the top lip a little difficult because my models lip line was very faint in fact when I look back on the final image it looks almost slightly exaggerated and perhaps the cupids bow lip line could have been made just a little more subtle. After I had lined the lips I asked her to open her mouth slightly and I filled in the corners with the side of the pencil to ensure the colour was all over. I also think its important to line the corner of the lips with a pencil instead of a lipstick because lipstick can build up in the corner of the mouth and this isn't what you want to look at!

I filled in the lips using a clean lip brush loaded up with plenty of lipstick. Holding it steady I filled in the holding it pretty much flat, I find using the tip moves the product around a little too much. For this look no lip gloss was used.

In todays work shop I learnt a new way to matt a lipstick. This was done by covering the models lips with one layer of tissue and then powdering over the tissue covered lips. This gave a really nice matt finish and would be great for longer lasting lips. 


Red Lip is probably my favourite lip look so I couldn't resist practising on myself using the same products!

1. Lining the lips 
2. Lining the lips
4. Lipstick applied over pencil


3. Filling in the lips with pencil













No comments:

Post a Comment