Monday 18 May 2015

Hair Inspiration and Design

I have also looked at Vintage Vogues and present Vogues for inspiration on the styling of the hair for my Eagle Warrior themed photo shoot. These images are a selection of my favourite through going as a far back as the 80s from French and British Vogue. 






I would like to create a hair style that is some slicked into a strong precision style and possibly wet look texture. My models hair is short. And I want the focus to be on the strength of character of the eagle warrior. I feel that a hair style that is slicked into shape possibly even finger waved at the front will create a militant and powerful style that will really suit the idealised personality trait of a traditional. 

Below are some traditional images of Native American Men and Women. Generally a middle parting seems to be essential for the styling of the hair. This is something that I will incorporate into the final look. I will need to make sure I get a sharp and precise middle parting to make the look as striking as possible. 


Here I have practised the style that I want to create on my dolly head. Here I have used a wet look gel to slick down the sides of my dolly head first dampening the hair a little using a few spritz of water. This helped to flatten any fly-aways and perfect the slickness of the hair even before adding gel. 


My main focus for this style because its a simple one will be to make sure that every key point is perfected. Because it is such a simple and clean style there will be know room for eras. Such as the middle parting which will need to be dead straight an uneven or unclean line will be really unforgiving on camera. 

I have not included a picture of the back of my dollies head because I have tied it into a really small pony tail. My models hair is cut very short above the neck and with the ends I plan to slick them down as smooth as can be. 

The product I plan on using is a wet look gel. I have decided to use this because looking at the images of genuine native american men and women. I noticed that there is often a really strong sheen and shine to the hair. Similar to the picture of my hair practise. I want the wet look texture of the gel to help incorporate this shine into the hair styling. 
Once I have prepped the hair and have moved onto the make up I will leave a hair net on the hair to make sure that it remains as slick as possible. Hair spray will also be used to provide staying power for my look. 


Cosmopolitan Magazine March edition
Cosmopolitan Magazine March edition

I found these two photos in Cosmopolitan magazine. There was a spread on various cultures. These women are high altitude natives who were photographed going about their daily duties. 
This was very handy for my not only for hair inspiration but also for my make up inspiration. 





No comments:

Post a Comment