Wednesday 6 May 2015

Make up Inspiration

I have spent much time rustling through make up looks that I feel I can connect with my masquerade project I've looked to old vogues, catwalk looks and even museum fashion to help me come up with the right make up look to compliment my Eagle Warrior Theme. 


I found Vogues from as far back as the 70s really inspiring. One thing I learnt is that trends repeat themselves and so looking back at vintage vogues and old fashion magazines is a great way to find inspiration. 

Below is a collage of make up looks from vogue from as far back as the 80s to the present day. I found French Vogue to be the most useful for what I am looking for. I have it in mind that I want to create a look that involves really deep set and powerful eyes. The second picture is from British Vogue in 2001 this type of deep bedroom smokey eyes is really suitable and relatable to an Eagle Warrior. With it meaning Power I think the eye look must be strong in in order to portray this. 



Images from Vogues from the 80s till present - West Thames College Library 



One of my favourite looks was from French Vogue November 2010. This beautiful editorial look was really reminiscent of Native American Style not necessarily the Eagle warrior itself. But there is blatant use of 'Pocahontas' styled hair and the use of feathers.
Also the eye make up is very similar to traditional Native American tribal make up. Often in some traditions they use a similar blue or red to paint the eyes usually going across the bridge of the nose and to the temples. In some cases they also paint other tribal markings such as lines on their chin and cheeks. These markings are usually described as 'War paint' and they were in most cases used to intimidate their enemies.1
I feel this cover of French Vogue has clearly taken inspiration from Native American War Paint which I find very inspiring for my project. 






1




I also found inspiration from Nicholas K's SS14 campaign. The make up for this show was created to give a sunburned tribal look. Its a really inspiring look for my photo shoot. This look is very similar to some Native American traditional war paint designs. I feel the continuation of the eye colour over the bridge of the nose gives the make up a really native feel. And is something I may use in my final design. 





Eye Brows are going to be a really important part of my look. I have decided to go for a the brushed up look. Having looked at numerous catwalks I have seen this trend appear a lot on shows and editorial campaigns. 

Ive decided I really like this trend and its well suited to my Eagle Warrior theme. Full brushed up brows will add texture to my look. 
To create my look I will need to practise and decide what method I will use to achieve this look.
I have researched a number of ways to create this look.
- I could either use lots and lots of spirit gum to brush them into this textured shape 
-I could brush them up and fill them in using brow gel
-I could even spray hairspray onto my eye brow brush and brush the hairs into place

My models eye brows are quite thick so I feel spirit gum may actually be the best option for this. However this would not be the best option on a catwalk environment given the time it takes to remove the spirit gum and the drying time. As I will be on a photo shoot I feel spirit gum will be the best option to perfect the look for the camera. 




After spending time looking at a variety of catwalk and editorial inspiration. I have spent time playing about with the looks onto face charts to help me develop my ideas. 


The first look is inspired by the looks I found in old Vogues with a heavy smokey eye and a really clean base with natural lips. 
As mentioned before I liked this idea because of the meaning of Black being the colour for 'living' and 'power' as discovered in my masquerade research. I thought it would be good to take this meaning further and translate it through to the make up look to go with my mask. A negative I found with this look in relation to my theme is that it is a very common look and without the costuming and mask it may not really be translatable to my theme of native people. 






The Second look was inspired a lot by the make up from Nicholas Ks SS14 Native look. 
I loved the eye look for this campaign and felt that it translated native style very well. 

Here I have taken inspiration from the eyes to give a deep set subtle colour to the eyes. I think this really works well and gives a very native feel because of the choice of colour and the shape of the eye with it pulling down in the corners towards the nose. This is in some cases a traditional shape to follow when applying war paint. 

I have updated this look by giving it a slight contour to the cheeks just to give the make up some more dimension and shapely ness which I think would help the look to really photograph well. 

The structure in the cheeks also gives off a powerful warrior/strong womanly feel which I want to portray through in my final image. 




Bibliography 
1.Thompson, J. (2013). nyfw : nicholas k ss14. [online] Schön! Magazine. Available at: http://www.schonmagazine.com/nicholas-k-ss14/ [Accessed 20 May 2015].
2. Haute Inhabit, (2013). Haute Inhabit » Brushed Up Brows. [online] Available at: http://www.hauteinhabit.com/brushed-up-brows/ [Accessed 20 May 2015].
3.Haute Inhabit, (2013). Haute Inhabit » Brushed Up Brows. [online] Available at: http://www.hauteinhabit.com/brushed-up-brows/ [Accessed 20 May 2015].



No comments:

Post a Comment